2021-2022 Competition for Chinese Government Scholarship
I. Application Highlights
The Education Office of the Embassy of the People's Republic of China in Canada （Agency number: 1241）is responsible for the inquires and preliminary review of those application documents from
——the City of Ottawa
——Newfoundland & Labrador
——Prince Edward Island
If you are in Alberta, British Columbia or Yukon, please refer to the Education and Culture Office of the Chinese Consulate General in Vancouver (Agency number: 1242) for application at
If you are in Manitoba, Northwest Territories or Ontario (with the exception of the City of Ottawa), please refer to the Education Office of Chinese Consulate General in Toronto (Agency number: 1243) for application at
If you are in New Brunswick or Quebec, please refer to the Education Office of the Chinese Consulate General in Montreal (Agency number: 1244) for application at
Please be advised that all applicants must be Canadian citizens with Canadian passport numbers only.
Application to the Education Office
of the Embassy of the People's Republic of China in Canada:
Deadline for completion of online CSC application: January 29, 2021.
Deadline for submitting a hard copy of the application documents to the Education Office of the Chinese Embassy in Canada: February 3, 2021.
The Award Letter to those pre-selected candidates: February 12, 2021. With this letter, the candidate shall continue contacting the 3 targeted Chinese universities in his/her application file to request a letter of pre-admission.
Deadline for uploading the letter of pre-admission (if received) on the Chinese Government Scholarship Application platform: March 8, 2021.
Deadline for uploading the Physical Examination Form on the Chinese Government Scholarship Application platform: March 8, 2021. Only pre-selected candidates that have applied for a more-than-6-months scholarship will be required to complete a physical examination and blood test, and the original copies should be kept by the candidate.
Final selection of scholarship recipients made by the China Scholarship Council and communicated to successful candidates: late June or early July 2021. A successful candidate will receive an admission notice from the Chinese university along with other materials on visa and travel to China at the same time.
Scholarship recipients must not concurrently hold other scholarships offering similar benefits.
II. Coverage of the Chinese Government Scholarship
1. Tuition waiver. Tuition funds will be comprehensively used by the host university. It may cover scholarship students’ education, administration costs and expenditures to support student activities.
2. Free university dormitory or accommodation subsidy. If it requires students to live on campus, the university will accommodate the scholarship students in a university dormitory （usually a twin room）; if it permits students to live off campus, the university will provide monthly/quarterly accommodation subsidy: undergraduate students, master’s students（general scholars）: CNY 700 per month; doctoral students （senior scholars）: CNY 1000 per month.
3. Stipend: Undergraduate students: CNY 2,500 per month; Master’s students/general scholars: CNY 3,000 per month; Doctoral students/senior scholars: CNY 3,500 per month.
4. Comprehensive medical insurance. Please visit http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org and refer to Comprehensive Insurance & Protection Scheme for Foreigners Staying in China for insurance policy.
III. Application Procedures
STEP ONE: Online Application
Complete the online application form and upload supporting documents at www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or www.campuschina.org according to the attached “Information System for Applicants”.
Applicants should start to contact the 3 targeted Chinese universities in the application file for pre-admission.
STEP TWO: Application Form and SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
Applicants are required to submit paper-based application package that includes one hard copy of each of the following documents:
(1) CSC application form downloaded and printed (Stick your recent photo to the first page.）
(2) Copy of passport home page containing your information
(3) Notarized highest diploma
(4) Academic transcripts
(5) A study plan or research proposal in Chinese or English
(6) Recommendation letters for graduate programs or senior scholar programs
(7) Samples of art work in music or fine arts applicable to those applying for arts or music only (Applicants for fine arts programs must submit their own works which include two sketches, two color paintings and two other works.)
(8) Non-criminal record report
(9) Valid documents of the legal guardians in China (if the Applicant is under the age of 18)
(10) Foreigner Physical Examination Form. The physical examination form and lab reports should be submitted on-line by March 8, 2021. Applicants planning to stay in China for more than 6 months must submit a photocopy of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form completed in English while the original copy should be kept by the applicant. The form is designed by the Chinese quarantine authorities and can be obtained from the dispatching authority. The physical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid. Please select the appropriate time to take physical examination as the result is valid for only 6 months.
Please submit the following documents if applicable:
(11) Pre-admission Letter from a Chinese Government Scholarship university
(12) Language qualification certificate. e.g., HSK certificates, IELTS or TOFEL report.
The above documents except the Physical Examination Form must be submitted no later than February 3, 2021 to the Education Office of the Chinese Embassy in Canada at:
396 Wilbrod Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 6M8
Tel: (613) 783-3562
Fax: (613) 789-0262
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure the package is submitted by the Deadline. Incomplete files will not be accepted or processed.
To enhance the opportunity to be admitted to the targeted universities, once the application package is received, examined and approved primarily, an Award Letter for Chinese Government Scholarship provided by the Embassy of the P. R. China in Canada will be sent to the applicant no later than February 12, 2021. And, with the Award Letter, the applicant shall continue contacting the three targeted Chinese universities filled in the online application form for pre-admission. Once getting one or more pre-admission letters, the applicant should choose one from the most favorite university and upload it online on the CSC application platform. Pre-selected candidates who do not obtain a Pre-admission Letter by March 8, 2021 are able to continue to the next step of the Chinese Government Scholarship selection process. CSC makes the final decision on the Chinese host institutions for the selected recipients.
IV. Foreigner Physical Examination Form
Please download the form from http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org
Information System (CGSIS)
Please carefully read the instructions before applying for the scholarship.
Step 1: Visit “CSC Study in China” website and click “Scholarship Application for Students” at http://www.campuschina.org.
Register an account through [CREATE AN ACCOUNT] and login with your account.
Step 2: Input Personal Details. Click “Edit Personal Details” and finish inputting personal details by filling in all the information, verifying and saving the information. After the completion of this section, return to the previous page by clicking “Finish” and start filling in your application information.
Step 3: Select the correct “Program Category”.
Please select Program Category “Type A”.
Step 4: Input the correct Agency Number.
Your Agency Number is: 1241.
Program Category and Agency Number are directly matched, both are mandatory for online application.
After inputting agency number, the matched agency name will automatically show on the page. As Program Category and Agency Number are directly matched, application processing authorities will not receive your online application if the program category or agency number is not correct.
Step 5: Input Application Information.
Next, please move on to the section of “Language Proficiency and Study Plan” and upload “Supporting Documents” as requested, then click “Submit” to complete the application.
Check each part of your application carefully before submission. Please make sure that all the information and uploaded documents are valid and accurate.
When applicants of “Type A” application choose the “Preferences of Institutes”, system will automatically match the available universities according to the selected “Student Category, Preferred teaching language and Major Applying for”. With any inquiry concerning the available majors of each university, please visit the following website
“Catalog of Discipline Field, First-level Discipline, Specialty” is available from the “Help”, applicants could download the file to identify the relation between Discipline and Major.
Step 6: Once submitted, amendment cannot be made on “Personal Details” and “Application Information”. Before the application being processed by the processing authorities, applicant can revoke the submitted application by clicking “Withdraw” and edit the application. After revoking the application, applicant must submit at second time after re-editing, or the application will not be processed. Once the application is processed, application cannot be revoked.
Step 7: Click “Print the Application Form” and download the form.
Step 8: Submit scholarship application under the requirements of the dispatching authorities (or application processing agency) .
China Scholarship Council never entrust any individual or intermediary agent to process Chinese government scholarship applications. Kindly remind that all applicants to directly submit your scholarship applications through official dispatching authorities, avoiding being deceived. The website below is the only official website that China Scholarship Council publishing Study in China information, please do not trust information from any other portals or sources.
Notes: Application with incorrect Agency Number will not be processed.
Please use Firefox or Internet Explorer (11.0).
For applicants using Internet Explorer, please close the “compatible view mode” function ahead of editing.
Please fill in all application information in Chinese or English.
Chinese Government Scholarship Application
Chinese Government Scholarship is now open for application. Online application and the corresponding application documents should be submitted online to application receiving agency. For more information, please refer
Eligibility: To be eligible, applicants must
- be a citizen of a country other than the People’s Republic of China, and be in good health.
- be a high school graduate under the age of 25 when applying for undergraduate programs;
- be a bachelor’s degree holder under the age of 35 when applying for master’s programs;
- be a master’s degree holder under the age of 40 when applying for doctoral programs;
- be a a high school graduate (at least) under the age of 45 when applying for general scholar programs;
- be a master’s degree holder or an associate professor (or above) under the age of 50 when applying for senior scholar programs.
a) Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (in Chinese or English).
b) Copy of Passport Home Page: Applicant shall submit a clear scanned copy of his/her ordinary passport with validity later than March 1, 2022. If the validity of the current passport does not meet the requirement, please apply for a new passport before submitting the application. For applicants who cannot apply for passports before submitting their applications due to objective reasons, with the permission of dispatching authorities, they may submit scanned copy of identity certificates or official documents containing the applicants’ “English name, Gender, Nationality, Date of Birth” and other information.
c) Notarized highest diploma: Prospective diploma winners must submit official proof of student status by their current school. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
d) Academic transcripts: Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
e) A Study Plan or Research Proposal in Chinese or English. (A minimum of 200 words for undergraduates, 500 words for non-degree students, and 800 words for postgraduates.)
f) Recommendation letters: Applicants for graduate programs or senior scholar programs must submit two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English from professors or associate professors.
g) Applicants for music studies are requested to submit their own works. Applicants for fine arts programs must submit their own works which include two sketches, two color paintings and two other works.
h) Applicants under the age of 18 should submit the valid documents of their legal guardians in China.
i) Applicants planning to stay in China for more than 6 months must submit a photocopy of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form completed in English (the original copy should be kept by the applicant. The form is designed by the Chinese quarantine authority and can be obtained from the dispatching authority. The physical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid. Please select the appropriate time to take physical examination as the result is valid for only 6 months.
j) Non-criminal record report. The applicant shall submit a valid certificate of Non-Criminal Record issued by the local public security authority, usually issued within 6 months prior to the submission date of the application.
Please submit the following documents if applicable
k) Pre-admission Letter from Chinese Government Scholarship universities.
l) Language qualification certificate. e.g., HSK certificates, IELTS or TOFEL report.
Reminder: All uploaded supporting documents must be clear, authentic and valid. Applicants are recommended to use professional device to scan the relevant documents. Applicants shall bear the consequences caused by unclear or unidentifiable uploaded materials.